Section 15.1 of National Instrument 21-101 Marketplace Operation (21-101) and section 6.1 of OSC Rule 13-502 Fees (13-502) -- exemption granted to TSX Inc. from the requirement in paragraph 3.2(1)(b) of 21-101 to file an amendment to Form 21-101F1 45 days prior to implementation of a fee change and from the requirements in Appendix C (item E(1)) and item E(2)(a)) of 13-502 to pay fees related to TSX Inc.'s exemption application.
IN THE MATTER OF
THE SECURITIES ACT,
R.S.O. 1990, c. S.5, AS AMENDED
IN THE MATTER OF
(Section 15.1 of National Instrument 21-101
("NI 21-101") and section 6.1 of Rule 13-502)
UPON the application (the "Application") of TSX Inc. (the "Applicant") to the Director for an order pursuant to section 15.1 of NI 21-101 exempting the Applicant from the requirement in paragraph 3.2(1)(b) of NI 21-101 to file an amendment to the information previously provided in Form 21-101F1 (the "Form") regarding Exhibit N (fees) 45 days before implementation of the fee change (the "45 day filing requirement");
AND UPON the Applicant filing an updated Form on March 19, 2010, describing a fee change to be implemented on April 1, 2010, (the "Fee Change");
AND UPON the application by the Applicant (the "Fee Exemption Application") to the Director for an order pursuant to section 6.1 of Rule 13-502 exempting the Applicant from the requirement to pay an activity fee of (a) $3,000 in connection with the Application in accordance with section 4.1 and item E(1) of Appendix C of Rule 13-502, and (b) $1,500 in connection with the Fee Exemption Application (Appendix C, item E(2)(a));
AND UPON considering the Application and the Fee Exemption Application and the recommendation of staff of the Commission;
AND UPON the Applicant having represented to the Director as follows:
1. The Applicant operates the Toronto Stock Exchange and is a recognized stock exchange in Ontario with its head office in Toronto;
2. The Applicant would like to implement the Fee Change on April 1, 2010;
3. The Applicant has provided advance notice to the industry regarding the Fee Change;
4. The current multi-market trading environment requires frequent changes to the fees and fee model to remain competitive, and it has become unduly burdensome to delay 45 days before implementing fee change initiatives;
5. The policy rationale behind the 45 day filing requirement, which the Applicant understands is to provide Commission staff with an opportunity to analyze the changes and determine if any objections should be raised prior to implementation, can be met in a shorter period; and
6. Given that the notice period was created prior to multi-marketplaces becoming a reality, and in light of the current competitive environment and the limited and highly technical nature of the exemption being sought, it would be unduly onerous to pay fees in these circumstances.
AND UPON the Director being satisfied to do so would not be prejudicial to the public interest.
IT IS ORDERED by the Director:
(a) pursuant to section 15.1 of NI 21-101 that the Applicant is exempted from the 45 day filing period for the Fee Change; and
(b) pursuant to section 6.1 of Rule 13-502 that the Applicant is exempted from:
(i) paying an activity fee of $3,000 in connection with the Application, and
(ii) paying an activity fee of $1,500 in connection with the Fee Exemption Application.
DATED this 29th day of March, 2010.