Section 15.1 of National Instrument 21-101 Marketplace Operation (21-101) and section 6.1 of OSC Rule 13-502 Fees (13-502) -- exemption granted from the requirement in paragraph 6.4(2) of 21-101 to file an amendment to Form 21-101F2 (Form F2) 45 days prior to implementation of a fee change and from the requirements in Appendix C (item E(1) and item E(2)(a)) of 13-502 to pay fees related to Alpha ATS' exemption application.
IN THE MATTER OF
THE SECURITIES ACT,
R.S.O. 1990, c. S.5, AS AMENDED
IN THE MATTER OF
ALPHA ATS LP
(Section 15.1 of National Instrument 21-101
(NI 21-101) and section 6.1 of Rule 13-502 Fees)
UPON the application (the "Application") of Alpha ATS LP (the "Applicant") to the Director for an order pursuant to section 15.1 of NI 21-101 exempting the Applicant from the requirement in paragraph 6.4(2) to file an amendment to the information previously provided in Form 21-101F2 (the "Form F2") regarding Exhibit G(4) (fees) 45 days before implementation of the fee changes (the "45 day filing requirement");
AND UPON the Applicant filing an updated Form F2 on July 21, 2009, describing a fee change to be implemented August 3, 2009 (the "Fee Change");
AND UPON the application by the Applicant (the "Fee Exemption Application") to the Director for an order pursuant to section 6.1 of Rule 13-502 exempting the Applicant from the requirement to pay an activity fee of (a) $5,000 in connection with the Application in accordance with section 4.1 and item E(1) of Appendix C of Rule 13-502, and (b) $1,500 in connection with the Fee Exemption Application (Appendix C, item E(2)(a));
AND UPON considering the Application and the Fee Exemption Application and the recommendation of staff of the Commission;
AND UPON the Applicant having represented to the Director as follows:
1. The Applicant is carrying on business as an alternative trading system and is registered as a dealer with the Ontario Securities Commission. It has received an exemption from registration in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, and Saskatchewan.
2. The Applicant would like to implement changes to its fee schedule on August 3, 2009.
3. These changes are being implemented after extensive consultation with subscribers of the Applicant and the 30 days notice required in the Subscriber Agreement.
4. The current multi-market trading environment requires frequent changes to the fees and fee model to remain competitive and it has become unduly burdensome to delay 45 days before responding to subscribers' needs and/or competitors' initiatives.
5. Given that the notice period was created prior to multi-marketplaces becoming a reality, and in light of the current competitive environment and the limited and highly technical nature of the exemption being sought, it would be unduly onerous to pay fees in these circumstances.
AND UPON the Director being satisfied to do so would not be prejudicial to the public interest;
IT IS ORDERED by the Director:
(a) pursuant to section 15.1 of NI 21-101 that the Applicant is exempted from the 45 day filing requirement for the Fee Change, and
(b) pursuant to section 6.1 of Rule 13-502 that the Applicant is exempted from:
(i) paying an activity fee of $5,000 in connection with the Application, and
(ii) paying an activity fee of $1,500 in connection with the Fee Exemption Application.
DATED this 27th day of July, 2009