IN THE MATTER OF
THE SECURITIES ACT, RSO 1990, c S.5
- AND -
IN THE MATTER OF STEVEN J. MARTEL,
MARTEL GROUP OF COMPANIES INC. and 8446997 CANADA INC.
(Section 127 of the Securities Act)
- On March 29, 2016, Staff of the Ontario Securities Commission (the “Commission”) filed a Statement of Allegations and the Commission issued a Notice of Hearing in respect of that Statement of Allegations, setting April 15, 2016 as the hearing date;
- On April 15, 2016, Staff of the Commission (“Staff”) and an agent for a respondent, Steven J. Martel (“Martel”), attended the hearing. The Commission adjourned the matter to a Second Appearance on August 10, 2016 and ordered a schedule for delivery of Staff’s disclosures, witness lists and information regarding experts;
- On August 10, 2016, Staff and counsel for Martel attended the Second Appearance and requested the scheduling of a pre-hearing conference. The Commission ordered that the matter be adjourned to a prehearing conference on September 27, 2016;
- On September 27, 2016, Staff and counsel for Martel attended a pre-hearing conference and requested the scheduling of a further pre-hearing conference and a Third Appearance. The Commission issued an Order (the “September 2016 Order”), adjourning this matter to a further pre-hearing conference on November 4, 2016, scheduling the Third Appearance for December 12, 2016, and ordering delivery of the respondents’ witness lists, witness summaries and information regarding experts by no later than 30 days before the date of the Third Appearance;
- On October 31, 2016, counsel for Martel requested amendments to the schedule set in the September 2016 Order and Staff consented;
- On November 2, 2016, the Commission issued an Order vacating the pre-hearing conference scheduled for November 4, 2016, vacating the Third Appearance scheduled for December 12, 2016, adjourning this matter to a further pre-hearing conference on December 12, 2016 and adjourning the obligation of the respondents to disclose witness lists, witness summaries and the intention to call expert testimony pending the rescheduling of the Third Appearance in this matter;
- On December 8, 2016, counsel for Martel and counsel for Staff agreed to request an adjournment of the pre-hearing conference scheduled for December 12, 2016;
IT IS ORDERED that:
- the pre-hearing conference scheduled for December 12, 2016 is vacated; and
- this matter is adjourned to a further pre-hearing conference on January 11, 2017 at 10:00 a.m., or such further and other date as may be agreed to by the parties and set by the Office of the Secretary.
Dated at Toronto this 9th day of December, 2016.
"D. Grant Vingoe "
D. Grant Vingoe, Vice-Chair
D. Grant Vingoe, Vice-Chair